[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

RE: E-Mail Address in WEB Browser.

| From:  <patw@aqmd.gov>
| Can anyone tell me or is there any write up on the issue of verifying the
| E-Mail address that is entered into the WEB Browser.

You can use the RFC 822 specification to test whether the overall
formatting of an address is correct.
However lots of machines are connected via indirect links or are behind
firewalls.
In general these indirect links and firewalls accept mail in the
correct format and only report problems at the time they try to deliver
the mail - ie they do not return useful information to the VRFY and
EXPN commands in SMTP.

You could of course send a test message with return-receipt enabled and
hope the destination machine honours return-receipt properly, that the
delays of the extra message and reply are acceptable and that users
dont mind getting lots of test messages.

Of course you could just treat it like snail mail, send it and wait
until the postmaster returns it with an error. :-)

- Jon Tidswell
Disclaimer: I think my thoughts are my own, and I believe my writings
are too.